Darwin Ecosystem is a multidisciplinary, creative and co-working center. It is an adventure, a concept, a form of architecture that embraces people who share similar ideas and a way of responding to the economic and ecological challenges, through the creation of new ways of working and collaborating. Located on the bank of the Garonne River in Bordeaux, the Darwin Ecosystem was founded in 2006 as the Group Evolution Project, with the main aim to renovate the deserted warehouses in the former Niel Military Barracks as a part of Bordeaux’s historical heritage. On the basis of collective ideology, creativity and circular economy, “low consumption”, “renewable energy”, “user-friendly environments”, “zero waste”, “sustainable transport”, and “sharing and pooling resources” are the key words to this collaborative project. Although Darwin Ecosystem is a project of a private company, it is built with 6% of public resources and has excellent cooperation and working relationships with local stakeholders primarily the City of Bordeaux. In 2012, the NOG Darwiniens was created for the autonomy of the Darwin ecosystem. It aims to collaborate with 110 companies (around 400 people) who have their offices in the Darwin ecosystem for a necessary ecological transitional commitment and for the experiment and development of the principles of cooperation and well-being at work. The core objective is to implement new ways of working, balancing economic, social and territorial cohesion with environmental sustainability. In the governance respect, organization members choose 12 representatives to the Board of Directors, which makes collective decisions. All members can participate in the work of 7 subgroups:
- Ecological Transition – support the habits and behaviors necessary for collective reduction of our ecological footprint. Among the various shared values in Darwin’s work, the objective of ecological transition is the most emblematic, and one that has attracted many committed members.
- Economic Cooperation- establish and support the conditions for long-lasting and sustainable economic cooperation.
- Territorial Cooperation- developing partnerships for the Darwiniens on a local, national and European level (one Erasmus + project in progress)
- Collective Life – to organize daily life for Darwiniens and define the rules of common life in the building.
- Well-being – promote the well-being within the ecosystem for all members (relaxation and recreation programmes: Yoga, Pilates, music, etc.)
- Communication – create and use different tools for internal and external communication (fanzine, social media, teamwork application dedicated to project and task management)
- Resources – be a resource for the Association and the various commissions (financial and human resources, logistics etc.)
Since 2012, it has hosted green and creative economy companies, co-working space, business incubators, cultural, artistic and social events, urban culture with an indoor skate and bike park, city farm, shared gardens, boat house and nautical club, sustainable food store, restaurant, a co-living project, wellness area, art factory, recycling associations etc.